Sunday, October 31, 2004

Posting From the Boondocks

Well, not really, seeing as how there aren't really any mountains anywhere near here. I'm in Daet, Camarines Norte, if that means anything to you. It's great to be back here -- apparently the last time I was here was in 1996.

Some things have changed, but mostly things are still the same. There's some sort of minimall now, and a Shakey's, and a Jollibee. :P And there's internet! I'm posting right now from a dingy internet cafe near my grandmother's house. The mouse is horrible, and I had to put up with using IE for a while. I got fed up quickly though, and just went ahead and downloaded and installed Firefox on two of their machines. Hehe, I'll leave them open when I leave, hopefully I can convert someone. :D

I'm actually here out of necessity - work necessity that is. I forgot to pass a couple of fspecs before I had to run for the bus yesterday, so I whipped up some quick specs here and sent em over to China. That's the beauty of the internet age, I guess. I can pick up my work whenever I want, and be working with people from 3 different countries while waking up late in some desolate corner of a third-world country. :D

I like it here in Daet, despite the lack of some modern conveniences. (The toilet here does not flush...I have to get a bucket of water and flush stuff myself.) Ironically, I was just lying around sleeping and reading the Cryptonomicon the whole morning. Ironic, because when I was a kid, I seem to recall that I didn't particularly like coming here, 'coz I'd be all bored out of my wits. This time though, I actually did come here to bum around. :D

No comments: