Monday, April 11, 2005

Blogsome - free Wordpress hosting

Wordpress host - free blog

I've wanted to try Wordpress for a while now, but not having easy access to a PHP-enabled server of my own, I haven't had the chance.

Blogsome is a new, free service that provides Wordpress for blogging. I signed up, and roy.blogsome.com was still available (nothing there, don't bother looking)

Am I going to leave blogger? I don't know, really, I'm already pretty comfortable with it already, and moving to Wordpress means learning a while new templating language (I know it would take all of an hour to get it down, but still...inertia).

I'm definitely not moving to Blogsome right now though, as there is currently no way to use Wordpress' import from Blogger feature with Blogsome since they do not provide FTP uploads for you. My other issue is that since everything would be hosted on Blogsome servers, there's a lot less control than with Blogger.

As far as I'm concerned, Wordpress has only one thing which Blogger still does not have: categories. If you're anything like me and you like to pretend to be organized, categories are a big step towards that. I have no doubt that Blogger will eventually have categories sometime in the feature, but right now they're having trouble keeping their existing features from the hiccups.

Ah, if only I got could get some free/cheap webhosting with a significant amount of space and JSP/Tomcat support. Since I use mostly JSP/Java at work, this is best for me...PHP means having to learn a whole new language, and we've been over that.

No comments: