Moved the 40GB hard drive on the primary computer to the secondary (for a total of 80 on the secondary), and installed the new one on the primary. My brother Alvin was working with me on this, and it took us a better part of three hours to get the connection right (one of the casings wasn't very agreeable)
Installed a fresh XP on the primary, that took a while. Almost immediately after setting up the network/internet the first time, got smacked by a couple of trojans and a virus, seemed to have lost some important system files as everything went wonky. Lesson learned, I reinstalled XP clean and this time, I installed my free antivirus package of choice before starting the internet connection.
I learned something new today. It seems the OS has some sort of limit on the partition size? It wouldn't let me install it as a single 160Gb partition, so I had to settle for a 128 gig main partition and a 21 gig secondary (the unfortunately uneven division due to my not knowing how to handle the situation correctly during the initial install). Ten gigabytes lost, bummer.
Everything seems fine now. Took me most of the night (up to 2AM) to transfer the files from the old hard drive (across the network cable). On hindsight, next time I should try to see if some disk-imaging utility would be better.
Notes for next time:
- Make sure all the installers are handy before starting. We were pretty lucky this time. :D
- Apparently, the order in which the hard drives are connected on the IDE cable does matter
- Divide the partitions neatly
- Install antivirus before opening internet connection.
- See if a disk-imaging utility can be used to transfer the files/OS/settings
That is all.