Sunday, January 18, 2004

KOTOR = Evil timesink

I hate KOTOR. Not because it's a bad game, in fact it's the exact opposite. It's a fantastic game. With the unfortunate side effect that everything else gets pushed back so I cam play some more. This was actually the first time I'd done some serious 'net surfing since I borrowed David's KOTOR copy. Here's my take on it in a post to RPG-Skies:

This game is fantastic! I borrowed my friend's copy
after he finished it, so I only started it last week, but it's already
eaten up a lot of my (non-work) time. Starships, lightsabers, force
powers, droids, wookies, twi'leks, Jedi, Sith, Hutts, Rodians, the
ability to choose between dark side or light side, watching your
character deflect dozens of blaster shots with his lightsaber...I'm
tempted to stop typing this email now and go play it...If I had actually
played it last year, I'd have named it as game of the year above.


In non-Star Wars news, I've had the old machine Cheese looked at, seems the mobo and the vidcard have been fried (again). Something's really wrong with that rig but I'm too lazy to change it, especially now that we have a second PC. In any case, it'll take another 2-3 weeks before PC Express can replace it.

I haven't found time to re-play FFX-2 and get whatever ending actually involved Tidus -- too much time spent on NWN and KOTOR. I still want to replay it, as there are a lot of things that I wasn't able to do, but we have more problems. Our PS2's disc read performance has gotten worse by the moment, we can hardly play on it anymore. I'm thinking on getting it checked up somewhere, if only so we can play some Japanese SVCChaos.

Speaking of SVChaos, my brothers and I were at the SM North the arcades last weekend, something we hadn't done in a while. I gave the old CVS2 game a go and promptly got whupped by my opponent, someone who seemed to have been playing this game for a long time. My Sagat did well enough, but Ryu and Blanka just plain choked. It's not just the stick anymore either -- I never noticed it before but I guess the speed of the game really is different from the console version, so I'm having a much harder time doing Just-Defend and wake-up DPs. I also gave the SVC Chaos machine a couple of runs, but I'm finding it hard to do supers on the thing. The arcade at SM Megamall already has SVC Chaos too...I'm seriously considering playing a couple of games there daily.

Of course, we were at the mall to see Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. Fairly good movie, much better finale than the Matrix trilogy. Which is good, because the books deserved to be made into good movies. the huge battles at Minas Tirith were great, although the army ghosts Aragorn fought felt a bit like cheating to win. I seem to recall their journey into the mountain to be a lot longer in the book too, but I may be wrong. Um...I have nothing else to say.

No comments: